Electricity plays an important role in our everyday lives but it’s still a dangerous commodity that must be treated accordingly. As a homeowner, you have the responsibility of ensuring that your home is electrically safe and that all occupants of the home are familiar with the potential dangers that come with the use of electricity.
Homeowners are usually aware that the electrical circuit needs to be inspected and maintained by qualified electrical contractors, but often fail to ensure that the occupants of the home observe electrical safety rules.
Here are some tips that anyone using electricity should follow:
All homeowners should adhere to these safety tips to ensure the occupants and the home, remain electrically safe:
Most people are under the false impression that they can add numerous plugs to a single outlet via power strips or electrical extension cords. What they don’t realize is that adding more plugs to an outlet, does not increase the power supply, it only overloads the circuit.
To extend their lifespan, and to prevent damage or electrocution, electrical cords should be kept tidy. Ensure that electrical cords are not:
Unplugging electrical appliances not in use not only reduces the electricity bill but also protects the appliance from damaging electrical surges. Appliances that are permanently plugged in could also potentially overheat and damage the electrical circuit and/or cause an electrical fire.
Damaged electrical cords and faulty electrical wires are a fire and electrocution hazard and must urgently be repaired or replaced. To minimize the risk of damage, never:
If the appliance has an exhaust fan, it needs to be checked and cleaned regularly. Dirty exhaust fans accumulate dirt and debris, causing the appliance to have to work harder (reducing its lifespan) and also act as kindling if the appliance overheats.
Electricity and water must never mix. Always ensure your hands are dry when working with electrical appliances and take the necessary safety precautions when using electrical appliances near any water source.
Heating appliances are a potential fire hazard. Always ensure heating appliances are on a flat, stable surface and use them with caution around:
Ensure only plugs are put into electrical outlets. Cover all unused outlets with safety covers to prevent children from putting their little fingers or foreign objects into the outlet holes. This will not only damage the outlet and be a potential fire hazard but also pose a very high electrocution risk.
When removing a plug from an outlet, always pull it on the plug itself, not the cord. Pulling on the cord will damage the plug and wires and is also an electrocution hazard.
You cannot use water on an electrical fire. All households must have an appropriate (regularly serviced) fire extinguisher readily available in the unfortunate event of an electrical fire.
Any electrician will tell you that to ensure the system is safe, the electrical circuit needs regular inspection and maintenance. During routine maintenance, the electrician will ensure that the electrical circuit complies with the Florida Building Code, all outlets are grounded correctly, and surge protectors are fully functional.
Other than routine maintenance, a qualified electrician must be contacted to inspect the circuit if you detect, among others, the following signs:
Serving the residents of South Florida for 40 years, Art Plumbing, Air Conditioning & Electric has cemented its reputation of being the electrical company of choice for all your electrical services.
Need some advice on how to maintain your electrical circuit? Are you wanting to confirm that your home is electrically safe? Our qualified, licensed, and experienced electricians are here for you.
Call us at 561-391-1048 Monday to Saturday between 8 am and 7 pm.